22 April 2022
Make sure your boiler is ready for this winter by following our quick boiler maintenance tips.
The winter months may seem like a long time away right now, and the last thing on your mind is probably your boiler. It’s important to look after your boiler the whole year round, even during the summer months and early autumn. Boilers which aren’t maintained properly can become faulty, be costly to repair and break down when you need them the most.
- Annual boiler service - The simplest way to maintain your boiler is to have your boiler serviced annually. Boiler services not only help to highlight any potential problems with your boiler, but are also vital for maintaining your boiler’s warranty. Click here to find out more about our available boiler services and how they can benefit you.
- Bright blue flame - The pilot light of your boiler should always be bright blue in colour. If the flame looks yellow or smoky, it is important you contact a Gas Safe engineer immediately. Thankfully, all of our engineers are Gas Safe certified. Contact us here.
- Inspect your boiler - Regularly checking your boiler is a vital part of its maintenance. It is important to ensure the vents are clear, the flue is accessible and there are no obvious leaks or dripping coming from your boiler.
- Lagging - Using the correct lagging around your heating systems pipes can help to insulate them, helping to increase energy efficiency and avoid freezing during the colder months.
- Boiler pressure - If you have a pressurised system, regularly check the pressure and, if needed, adjust it according to your boiler's manual. A boiler too high or low in pressure will be less efficient and can increase your home's heating bills.
- Test your heating system - Run your heating system for 10-15 minutes once a month to prevent any parts from seizing up and to highlight any potential problems.
- Check your oil - If you own an oil boiler, take the time to check the oil level to ensure it doesn't run out and suck sludge and debris into the pipe, causing damage to your boiler
- Bleed your radiators - Regularly bleeding your radiators can help to remove excess air from the system, as well as improving any radiators which have cold spots or are cooler at the top.
- Power flush – A power flush can significantly improve the efficiency of your heating system removing any built-up debris and sludge. You can read about our heating system clean here.
- Extra safety precaution - As added protection from carbon monoxide poisoning, it is recommended a carbon monoxide alarm is installed in the room your boiler is installed.
It is important to remember that any boiler repairs must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer, and it is illegal for anyone else to carry out work on your boiler, even if the job does looks simple.
In the unfortunate event that your boiler does break down, or requires emergency repairs, you can rely on us to get your heating system back up and running. For emergency boiler repairs, WhatsApp us on 01795 503604, log into your online account here or us the Live Chat option on our website and our team will arrange a visit from one of our trusted Gas Safe registered engineers.