Make sure your boiler is ready for this winter by following our quick boiler maintenance tips.
The winter months may seem like a long time away right now and the last thing on your mind is probably your boiler. It’s important to look after your boiler the whole year round, even during the summer months and early autumn. Boilers which aren’t maintained properly can become faulty, be costly to repair, and break down when you need them the most.
- Annual Boiler Service - The simplest way to maintain your boiler is to have your boiler serviced annually. Boiler services not only help to highlight any potential problems with your boiler but are also vital for maintaining your boiler’s warranty. Click here to find out more about our available boiler services and how they can benefit you.
- Bright Blue Flame - The pilot light of your boiler should always be bright blue in colour, if the flame looks yellow or smokey it is important you contact a gas engineer immediately
- Inspect Your Boiler - Regularly checking your boiler is a vital part of its maintenance, it is important to ensure the vents are clear, the flue is accessible and there is no obvious leaks or dripping coming from your boiler
- Lagging - Using the correct lagging around your heating systems pipes can help to insulate them, helping to increase energy efficiency and avoid freezing during the colder months
- Boiler Pressure - If you have a pressurised system, regularly check the pressure and if needed adjust it according to your boilers manual. A boiler too high or low in pressure will be less efficient and can increase your homes heating bills
- Test Your Heating System - Run your heating system for 10-15 minutes once a month to prevent any parts from seizing up and to highlight any potential problems
- Check Your Oil - If you own an oil boiler, take the time to check the oil level to ensure it don’t run out and suck sludge and debris in to the pipe causing damage to your boiler
- Bleed Your Radiators - Regularly bleeding your radiators can help to remove excess air from the system, as well as improving any radiators which have cold spots or are cooler at the top
- Power Flush – A power flush can significantly improve the efficiency of your heating system removing any built-up debris and sludge
- Extra Safety Precaution - As added protection from carbon monoxide poisoning it is recommended a carbon monoxide alarm is installed in the room your boiler is installed
It is important to remember that any boiler repairs must be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered engineer and it is illegal for anyone else to carry out work on your boiler, even if the job does looks simple!
In the unfortunate event that your boiler does break down or requires emergency repairs, you can rely on us to get your heating system back up and running. For emergency boiler repairs call us on 01795 477 098 or email email@example.com and our sales team will arrange a visit from one of our trusted engineers.