Latest News - Gas Safety Week 2018

 
 
 

Gas safety week

At Swale Heating we are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2018, taking place 17th – 23rd September.
Gas Safety Week is run annually to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your home and commercial gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.


Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause serious risks to your family, some of the dangers include gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.


By taking care of your gas appliances properly, you are taking care of your home and your loved ones. At Swale Heating we want to give our customers some helpful tips to keep them and their families safe from carbon monoxide poisoning:

Gas Safety Tips

- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home - A carbon monoxide alarm will give you peace of mind by alerting you if there is a carbon monoxide leak

- Don’t do it yourself - It’s illegal to work on any gas appliance unless you are gas safe registered. If you need gas works or repairs completed in your home don’t hesitate to get in to contact for your free Swale Heating quotation

- Annual service and check - For added reliability and efficiency have your gas appliances safety checked and serviced once a year, click here to book your service

- Check for warning signs - Regularly check your boiler and gas appliances for warning signs. These include a flame which is any colour other than a crisp blue, black marks on the ground around your appliance, high levels of condensation in the room or a pilot light which frequently needs relighting

- Landlord responsibilities - Landlords are legally responsible for the safety of their tenants. Landlords should make sure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. Follow the link to read more about landlord and tenant gas safety.

Know the main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

When carbon monoxide enters the body, the body is no longer able to carry oxygen. This is potentially fatal and causes the body’s cells and tissues to start to fail and die. It is important to be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, as many aren’t always obvious during low level exposure. Some of the most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be seen below:


- Headaches
- Dizziness
- Breathlessness
- Nausea and being sick
- Collapsing
- Chest pain
- Ataxia
- Loss of consciousness
- Seizures

What to do in the event of a carbon monoxide leak:

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak in your home or if your carbon monoxide alarm sounds, keep calm and follow the below steps.

1. Stop using all gas using appliances, switch them off and ventilate the property by opening the doors and windows
2. Leave the house to get fresh air
3. If you think there is an immediate danger from gas or carbon monoxide, call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999
4. Visit your doctor or local hospital and let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning
5. Contact a gas safe registered engineer to inspect your gas using appliances. To find a gas safe registered engineer near you click here to visit the Gas Safe Registers website

More news that may also interest you...

Using Smart Technology to Save Money

At Swale Heating we want to give you some of our top tips on how you can integrate your homes heating, so you save money on your energy usage.  

Read More

Beat the Winter Rush

At Swale Heating we have put together some handy tips to help you beat the winter rush and be prepared during even the coldest of months.

Read More

Gas Safety Week

Gas Safety Week 2018

At Swale Heating we are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2018, taking place 17th – 23rd September. 
Gas Safety Week is run annually to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your home and commercial gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas. 

Read More