Landlord FAQs


What are a Landlords Gas Safety responsibilities?

As a landlord, you have a responsibility to your tenants to ensure that the gas supply and appliances within your home are in a safe condition, are fitted by a Gas Safe engineer and have an annual Gas Safety check. To find out more, click here. 

Am I responsible for gas appliances supplied by the tenant?

If a tenant has supplied their own appliances, they are completely responsible for the repairs and safety checks of that product. You will however be responsible for the parts of the associated installation and pipework, but not the appliance.

How much does a Gas Safety check cost?

At Swale Heating, we offer an exceptionally competitive price of £28 for each certificate gained as an add-on to a service which costs a standard fee of £80. Read more about it here.

What is the difference between a service and Gas Safety check?

In order to obtain a Gas Safety certificate, a service will be required. The certificate will verify that no hazardous fumes or other issues are causing the appliance to be a risk as an additional extra to the service itself.

Are there any penalties for not having an annual service / Gas Safety certificate?

The standard penalty for non-compliance with Gas Safety is a £6,000 fine and/or a 6 month prison sentence.

What appliances within a property require a Gas Safety certificate and service?

Any gas appliance that the landlord has provided for their own or the tenant’s use is included in the landlord’s legal duties.

Does having a Landlord gas safety certificate affect my properties insurance policy?

Yes, your insurance may be void if you do not have an up to date Gas Safety certificate.

Why use a Gas Safe registered engineer?

Gas Safe engineers are trained in the current safety regulations and can work safely with gas appliances. Gas engineers are required under law to be registered with Gas Safe.

Am I allowed access to the property and what happens if the tenant denies access?

The landlord should be able to access the property for any maintenance or safety check work that needs to be done.

Do I have to provide my tenants with a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm?

Since 2015, landlords have been required to have at least one smoke alarm on every floor of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room where solid fuel is used.

What should I do if I doubt my Gas Safety report and want a second opinion?

If you have doubts about your Gas Safety report, contact the Gas Safety register website for further advice.

When will I receive my Gas Safety certificate?

You will receive your certificate by post within 5 days of the appointment.

Do I have to provide the tenant with a copy of the Gas Safety certificate?

Yes, you must provide tenants with a version of the check within 28 days of its completion and be able to provide a copy to tenants before they move in.

Can I keep the Landlord’s Gas Safety record electronically?

Yes, but only if a hard copy can be reproduced, the information is secure from loss and has identification of the Gas Safe engineer.

What should I do if I suspect that my appliances are unsafe?

If there is a suspected gas leak you should immediately call the National Grid’s Gas Emergency free number: 0800 111 999, open all the windows and doors and shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve. Do not touch the appliance again until it has been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Why is correct ventilation and the use of flues so important?

All gas appliances require an adequate amount of air to assist the combustion of gas and a flue to remove any combusted products. Without these, the results could be fatal.

Should I have a Gas Safety record?

A Gas Safety check certificate should be kept as a record and should include: A description of the appliance checked, the name, registration number and signature of the Gas Safety engineer carrying out the check, the address of the property, the information of the landlord, any issues located and action taken.

What if appliances are within a communally shared area?

Appliances within communal areas still require safety checks to be undertaken by the Landlord and maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer. This may include liaising with the owner of the building.

What if there is a lifelong lease in place?

If there is a lease that is longer than seven years and is for life, the landlord is not responsible for any Gas Safety checks or maintenance.

Bing Digital